The Math Common Core State Standards provide clear goals defining what students should understand and be able to do at every grade level.
It’s not revolutionary but it is progress. I heard a few revolutionary ideas on math education recently which I’ll just throw out there:
1. High school math should generally stop at Algebra one (multivariate but not quadradical equations). In plain English, yes on having two variables, no on studying solving squares of variables. And reduce the amount of time spent arithmetically solving through factoring and calculus.
2. Make computer programming a mandatory part of the math curriculum. Every student should learn some coding skills and have some understanding of algorithms since they are so critical to our daily life.
3. Make probability, logic, and data analysis a core and significant portion of the curriculum.
4. Make finance, interest rates, and basic finance a significant portion of the curriculum.
5. Downplay the significance of the math facts!!!!
For a great online PreK-8th grade online homeschool math curriculum, try Time4Learning.com
The Common Core State Standards for Mathematical Practice establish eight main math skills that K12 educators should develop in their students:
- Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
- Reason abstractly and quantitatively.
- Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others.
- Model with Mathematics.
- Use appropriate tools strategically.
- Attend to precision.
- Look for and make use of structure.
- Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning.
Math is omnipresent in our everyday world. However, students all too often see Math as a purely academic subject that does not extend beyond quizzes and homework. So, from equations to word problems, for a math operation to be worth solving, the need for a solution must have real-life implications to which students can relate.
|Math Vocabulary Lists|
|Kindergarten Math Words|
|1st Grade Math Words|
|2nd Grade Math Words|
|3rd Grade Math Words|
|4th Grade Math Words|
|5th Grade Math Words|
|6th Grade Math Words|
|7th Grade Math Words|
|8th Grade Math Words|
|High School Math Words|